Friday, June 21, 2013

Work Harder, Write Smarter

My awesome wife, with whom I just celebrated our first anniversary, bought me a small chalkboard that I keep at my workstation. I started writing a phrases on it to keep the creative momentum during times of distraction or discouragement. The previous phrase was "Write on Purpose." I felt at that time that my musical efforts were sort of all over the place. Even individual compositions didn't have a natural flow or structure that made sense. That personal maxim has served its purpose, and now I've updated it to meet a more immediate need.

I feel like this track, "Completely Confused And Euphoric," is the product of my new maxim, "Work Harder, Write Smarter." I changed my workflow it two simple manners, but they had a profound impact on how I approached the production of this song.

First, I chose the title before writing the first note. This particular title was inspired by a story I heard...a tale of love, heroism, and heartbreak. Typically I struggle fit a title to a finished song, by describing the emotion I feel it exudes, or as a description of the writing process. This time around I knew ahead of time the function of my tune, and it gave a more precise target to aim for.

Secondly, I wrote my chord progression down on paper from start to finish before ever choosing a sound in my DAW. I then blocked out the progression on a simple piano sample before adding the flesh to the bones. In the past, I chose all of my sounds, and wrote to the sounds. This time around, and here forward, I will compose my songs and intellectually choose the sounds that will best suit it.

These methods gave me a sense of freedom and empowerment over my craft. I have been experiencing a staleness in the writing process, and this week's track breathed a breath of fresh air into my dream.

Week after week, I have a new favorite of the songs I've written. I hope you also increasingly enjoy my creations as I build upon my strengths and learn to minimize my weaknesses.

I hope this song stirs your insides, tugs at your heart strings, and leaves you feeling "completely confused and euphoric in equal measure."


SUPPORT INDEPENDENT MUSIC. SHARE WITH EVERYONE YOU KNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment